Sunday, January 6, 2013

Thank you for the Comments

I appreciate it.  You forget that the few who are shitheads are few indeed.  And I got minis to post and a small battle rep.  As you know I played a 1250 event this past Sunday with some Orks.  The list was a bit rough - and I felt that to make something more interesting meant dropping the Dakka jets and rokkits for right now.  They just didn't do as well as I wanted too.  Of course the Lootas were good and the Jets were a bit too much haha.  I think Big Guns help out way too much to miss them.  So with that - list and then each game.

HQ: Weirdboy, Warphead
Elites: Lootas X 10
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Big Shoota X 3
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Rokkits X 3
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Rokkits X 3
FA: Dakka Jet, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace
FA: Dakka Jet, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace
FA: Dakka Jet, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace

1240 on the nose.

Rd 1 - KP max 10 & 5 Objectives mission
Kingsley was playing Dark Eldar with the Baron, Big fat unit of Beast master, Talos, Bomber, 2 Raiders with Splinter Cannon/Blaster Guys, Venom full of True Born with Blasters, and 5 Scourges with 2 Haywire Blasters.

This was a rough game for Kingsley as I came on - shot him a bunch and just slowly drag him down in bullets.  The Talos did kill a unit of orks then took my whole army shooting at him.  I blew things up and shot stuff down.  I lost some boyz and then the one unit.  Weirdboy didn't do much interesting and just ran around to different guys and I roll the Waagh spell a lot to shoot a ton.  Felt rough about this one.  I got 18 points - 2 Objectives + 9 KP.  I killed the Warlord and got First Blood.

Rd 2 - Relic and 5 Objectives mission
I was playing against my buddy Brandon who was with IG.  2 Avenger things (170 pt flyer from FW), blob of 40 guys, 3 Chimeras, an Aegis with FU Quad Gun, some Vets.  Basic army and fine to play against.  I tried to hide my Lootas and then get some Snapfire into the Quad gun but that failed.  This game felt like a chore as my Dakkajets came in one at a time got shot up.  I tried to be tricky with a teleporting Orks when I should have jumped on the Relic and try to hold it from there.  But still it was a rough one.  Fun game as he is my buddy and if things go crap we would just stop and move on.  He ended up winning this one.

6 Points each plus 5 KP he took from me and 3 I took from him.  A light win for Brandon.

Rd 3 - Random point 6 objectives and KP - FA were scoring or something.
I was playing against Matt and his GK.  He had 3 Squads of Strikes with toys in Rhinos, 2 Dreads, and an Inq in termie armor with a Psycannon.  This game was FU flyers as my Dakkajets made 9 out of 13 Jink saves and just were a pain in the ass.  He combat squaded everything and I just shot guys to bits. I left him 2 Dreads, a rhino, a 5 man squad and 1 single Psycannon jerk.

I ended up winning this one 18 to 6 or something.

I ended up 3rd place and had a good time coming back to the local tournament scene.  The event was well run by Nick and Shannon and I really like how the tournaments are all starting to push to multiple objective book missions.  BAO is doing that too and I applaud them.

So with that let's look at where I want to go next for some armies.  I am looking at 1850 because that is the next big event I plan on going too.  I just paid for the Railhead in Dallas on March 2-3rd and I am still looking at CSM.  What is funny is if I played my assault CSM list for the event I would have dicked punched my army haha.

Straight CSM

HQ: Chaos Lord, MoK, Juggernaut, The Blinding Axe of Fury, Veteran of the Long War, Sigil of Corruption
HQ: Chaos Lord, MoN, Bike, Sigil of Corruption, The Black Mace, Veteran of the Long War
Troops: Plague Marines X 5, Plasma Gun X 2
Troops: Cultists X 35
Troops: CSM X 10, Plasma Gun, Auto Cannon, Veterans
Troops: CSM X 10, Plasma Gun, Auto Cannon, Veterans
FA: Chaos Spawn X 5, MoN
FA: Chaos Spawn X 5
FA: Heldrake, Bale Flamer
Heavy: Mauler Fiend
Heavy: Mauler Fiend
Fortification: Aegis Line, Quad Gun

The Cultists can be a big blob versus Drop Pods - attack a Chaos Lord and they will never run.  It is almost tempting to add two 25 blobs and tweak some of the points to get a big enough "shield" but I think 35 should work ok.  I am unsure of the Drake as dropping him would give me another 170 - which could mean either more Dakka.  I could drop the two Mauler Fiends for 8 Autocannon Havocs with 10 points left (5 plus 4 Cannons plus Vet = 120).  I could also look at adding more CSM too to help pad it out.  It feels nice to look at and really the Mauler Fiends are fun against vehicles.  You just have to hide them correctly.  Thoughts on this list?  Should I find a way to add either Demons or something else to fill things out?  It is funny I made 20 NSM and I have only used them for Feast of Blades and one game before hand.  Heh.

I am almost thinking of dropping the Chaos Spawn with MoN for bikers.  It gets close and with some tweaks I can fit it in.  10 MoN bikers is pretty spicy too.  I got more torso's and horses to make them as well.  Blargh.

And an Ork list for the same Event.

HQ: Weirdboy, Warphead
Elites: Lootas X 9
Elites: Lootas X 9
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Big Shoota X 3
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Big Shoota X 3
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Rokkits X 3
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Rokkits X 3
FA: Dakkajets, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace
FA: Dakkajets, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace
FA: Dakkajets, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace
Heavy: Big Guns X 3, Runtherd
Heavy: Big Guns X 3, Runtherd
Heavy: Big Guns X 3, Runtherd
Fortification: Aegis Defense Line, Commlinks

I could get a Quad gun instead - drop some Rokkits etc.  So no idea.  But I think that many Dakkajets coming in - or not coming in to stop quad gun nonsense.  Might be good?

Alright - some quick models.  I did a paint experiment with some Nurgle Demons.  I started off Purple to pull up to Green and I think they came out pretty good.  It has a nice creepy look with the Blue "broken" flesh.  What do you think?

It deals with multiple glazes towards the cracks - Purple and greens.  If people are interesting I can write it up how I did it.  It is not as hard and just involves layering paints up.

Woot a Dreadnought for Luis.  Fun times.

What - Heldrake number 5 - new client.  They just want me to cry right?  hehe at least they are easy to put together now.

Here is my paint list as well for the coming week.  The top 3 things were done on Saturday in 6 or so hours.  I was watching Adventure time and hanging out with friends doing a paint day.  If you haven't done that yet - you should just get some buddies together and feed off of each other's paint fumes.  It helps you get better for sure.

Paint list

Me 
Plastic Dudesmen - We are starting on some character intro and building.  The idea is to do it as a Game Shop and the discussions that happen there.  So look for some introductions coming.
CSM Regular Guys - need to start filling them out and using the new Autocannons.  One squad of 10 would be great.
2 Raptors - I have 2 left to paint
Tablewar Case - start getting it built together.  Woot.

Luis
Not sure what I will do - it depends on the new codex and what I need to fill out for the DA.

Jens
Defiler - Base build plus paint - woot.
Ahriman - Finish - he has been base painted
A bunch of bases - will finish off the order - matching other bases I did

Kenneth 
Heldrake # 2 - and the 6th one I have done - need to build

I am sure I will find other things to do as I think about it.  I always find more stuff hehe.  I might repaint more Loota skin to get another squad to mess around with it.  And make a Commlink item hehe.  I think I will try to mess with the CSM stuff first so will see.


4 comments:

Loopy said...

I'd leave the comms relay in the ork list. It's more important for the Dakkajets to come in when you want them than it is to have yet more anti-air in the list.

Thomas aka Goatboy said...

I agree - Need to convert a cool comm link hehe.

Brandon Griffith said...

pretty sure you could make a sweet orky comms relay out of some plasticard and a stray cat.

HOTpanda said...

Would love to to see a write up on how you painted those pulsating nuclear minions. Killer work as usuall.