Monday, April 30, 2012

Goatboy - Monday, Monday, Monday


Goatboy here - I got my game in on Sunday versus my Co-Worker Neil with my counts as evil Grey Knights. It is a "non duplicated" list and it is all about using each piece to complete the puzzle of winning the game. It felt alright to play with and it wasn't too terrible - other then abusing two batches of Grenades. In fact one batch of grenades is going to get dropped out if I even play it.

The List - Rogue Inquisition Dickhead-a-rama.

HQ: Grand Master, Psychotroke Grenades
HQ: Coteaz
Elites: Purifiers X 10, Warding Stave X 1, Hammer X 1, Incinerators X 4, Psybolt, Halberds X 4
Elites: Tech Marine, Psychotroke Grenades, Rad Grenades
Troops: Henchmen - Warrior Acolytes X 3, Plasma Guns X 3, Razorback, DozerBlade, Searchlight, Psybolt
Troops: Henchmen - Rogue Psykers X 8, Warrior Acolytes X 2, Rhino, Dozerblade, Searchlight
Troops: Henchmen - Death Cult Assassins X 6, Crusaders X 3
FA: Inceptors X 10, Psybolt, Psycannon X 2, Daemon Hammer X 1
FA: Storm Raven, TWL Multi-Melta, TWL Lascannon
Heavy: Land Raider Redeemer, Psybolt, Multi-Melta
Heavy: Dreadnought, TWL Autocannon X 2, Psybolt

I might have goofed on writing out one thing or two - but that is basically what I played. I tried to make everything different and unique to better represent a pile of jerks running around the table top.

Each piece worked well and I think the only dead wait was the Psychotroke on the GM as it really isn't needed. It is a bit overkill at this time. I am also not liking Coteaz as people just hate on that model and I want to try and create something that makes me play a bit instead of just seeing how many 6's I roll to make you a sad panda. I will go through another build design again to see what fits - but this might be ok.

I am still really mentally pushing for my Fabius Bile/CSM list. I was talking about it with some other guys and it could work - it is just extremely expensive and a pain in the ass to play with at times. Still it is fun to beat up on people with and watch them get upset. CSM can't beat me!!! Hah. I could always go with Demons again too - which is another tempting option as well. 2000 points means I can retweak the list. I think the massed troops didn't work as well and think one fat blob of Plague Bearers to hold a home objective might be needed. I might also go away from Skulltaker but will see.

Paint list for the week

Me
Plastic Dudesmen - Drawn - need to build in photoshop and color
3 Characters for BOLS videos - 3 are drawn - need to color
Hordes Legion Boxed set from Adepticon - Built it all - need to prime and paint

Luis
10 Empire Spearmen - Done son!
1 Drummer guy - Done son!
2 more Mordhiem guys - Primed
1 Arbite - Primed
Another batch of Empire/mordhiem as well

Jens
10 Horrors of Tzeentch - Not primed!

Mike N
10 Orks - batch of 40 total - doing 10 at a time - Kromlech based! - in pieces

And who knows what else I might do - lots of things. I have to work on Saturday so if it isn't too busy I will be busting out some paints for sure then. Who knows what extra crap I might come up with. If people want some of the Hordes I am painting shoot me an email and we can work out a deal. I also have a Cryx boxed set painted and a Khador one painted.

And finally for those looking at starting a painting service let me give you some thoughts on what you should charge an hour.

I currently charge about $25.00 an hour. That is what a lot of other people charge and I keep it in that area to make sure painting the models is worth wile for myself. My time is important as I have a wife, life, and a real job. So I have to make the payment I make for gluing my hands, abusing paint brushes, and constantly buying expensive paints worth it.

I judge my prices based on what I can do in a 3 hours batch. Normally that is the perfect amount of time to finish a small project - ie troop squad, vehicle or two, big thing, etc. I normally do 10 infantry in 3 hours. Costs for most models at the base level for me start between 8-12 dollars depending on what is needed to get the job done. Sometimes it fluxates upwards and other times it goes down. It really depends on what you want. I don't lie when I say I love to paint orks and I usually drop the cost on them. I enjoy doing it - and the value you get from me is a lot more. Let's say you want me to paint super clean style - I don't like to do that so the cost would be higher etc. These are all things you have to think about whenever you start to paint for people.

If you are thinking about it - take how long it takes for you to complete a Marine unit. Try to keep about $25.00 an hour. Your paints, glue, equipment, etc that eats into the cost and leaving it at 25 should mean you have at least 15-18 dollars an hour for "salary", thus letting you do ok. So let's say you can do 10 models in 5 hours. That means you want to at least get $125.00 for the time you spent on the 10 models. That means you will most likely want to charge 12-13 dollars per model to ensure you keep that level of pay.

I have seen a lot of people under cut themselves and get into model pits as they try to finish up these models. They basically have started to dip into their profit and basically run any financial gain they might have gotten from taking the job. It happens all the time as people set flat payment for an army, instead of splitting it apart into chunks.

I will talk more about this later - just wanted to get some thoughts out. While we are here - how about some models? I am experimenting with my lighting - still have a long way to go. I'll get better pics soon.




No comments: